Add, Edit or Delete Labels In Blogger / BlogSpot Blogs

Your blog must be having more than one labels or categories, and when a visitor visits your blog from search engines like Google or Yahoo, then most probably he/she will land on a specific page/post of your blog. And if the reader likes the post, he/she will definitely search for similar topics on the blog, and this is exactly where, labels and categories will help the visitor. But again, the number and names of the labels are very important.
May be, initially you would not have given enough importance to these labels. And now when you realized the importance, you may find tens and hundreds of posts in your blog with improper labels, which need to be edited, or you may even want to delete some of the labels you have already added, or you may want to add some new labels to your previous posts.
Blogger does help you to do this quite easily, but I still think that they should make it even more better !
Anyways here's how you can edit, add or delete labels in Blogger.
Log in to Blogger, in the Posting section, click on Edit Posts.

See the highlighted regions in the image above.
As soon as you click on Edit posts, you will see all posts written by you (select posts per page as 300 in the right corner of the page).

1. Now to delete any label, click on "Select All". Then in the drop down menu "Labels action", under "Remove label" option you will see the list of all labels, click on the one, you want to remove for ever.

2. To add a label, select all the posts, you want to add the label. Then in the drop down menu "Labels action", under "Apply label" option click on New label.... Finally enter the name of the new label.

3. And in case you want to edit a label, unfortunately there's no direct option given by Blogger.
So do this, firstly in the list of labels column, present at the left side of the page, click on the label you want to edit. Now only those posts are displayed which have this label. Now add a temporary label to these posts. Then delete the label, you want to edit. Now click on the temporary label in the labels list. Now add the new label. Then finally delete the temporary label.

And finally display important labels as a link list in a widget, or display all the labels as a flash widget in your blog.

Image Credits: VectorLady

February 07, 2009 5:50 AM delete

Nice info, I agree that Blogger should include some sort of direct label editing tool, maybe if enough people request it they might include it in blogger in draft.

February 08, 2009 11:52 AM delete

Thanks a lot, very useful...

xee-facts.blogspot.com
February 18, 2009 4:08 AM delete

thanx
it was very helpful

March 28, 2009 7:46 AM delete

Hi, thanks for the tip.

About #3, I think you can save one step by selecting articles with the label you want to change, add a new ("modified") label to them, do the same selection and than erase the old label.

March 28, 2009 8:04 AM delete

Yes that can be done, but I have written this additional step, because in case some one wants to modify the word with (say) a capital letter, like modify "gadgets" to "Gadgets", then you cannot add the tag Gadgets, without deleting the tag gadgets first, because Blogger considers both the words as same.

In that case, you must add something like gadgets1 or gadgets2 etc. as a temporary tag, then you have to delete the first tag (gadgets), and then add the new tag Gadgets, and finally delete the temporary tag too !

June 18, 2009 6:43 PM delete

thank you so much for this article. It has been my guide in deleting irrelevant labels.

wes
July 08, 2009 4:02 PM delete

:) thx that helped a lot

July 09, 2009 4:35 PM delete

Thank you very much ! I've been looking for this for a long time.

July 14, 2009 4:03 PM delete

How to Remove All Label by only one click

utopian
August 15, 2009 4:08 AM delete

thank you so much. you've saved a lot of sweat :-D

Suhel
August 26, 2009 10:07 AM delete

Thanks a lot for the editing labels info! Was very useful :)

Divya Sai
August 26, 2009 10:19 AM delete

@ Suhel, Utopian, and Godze
Welcome guys, glad to you !

@tkwebindia
check out the new label feature from Blogger

October 02, 2009 9:24 AM delete

Thank......

Visit this site for more fun :-

WWW.swish08.blogspot.com

November 12, 2009 2:18 AM delete

Wow this is just what I was looking for..Thanks so much.

November 15, 2009 4:43 PM delete

I have been trying to figure out how to do this for MONTHS! My workaround was to individually edit each post--not at all efficient and goodness knows what it did to my RSS feed. Thanks for the info.

November 26, 2009 4:58 AM delete

hye i need some help regarding this post. im having tough times to complete this task anyway.

my question is how do you do things like this:

Haunted Room Stories:
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

this is basically to post series of stories from the same title. so you only need to click on the number which link to the entry you want to read. can you please help me? im a real noob in this blog world

November 26, 2009 5:50 AM delete

Hi ikha,
couldn't get your purpose...
Are these 5 parts of a story linked to subsections from the same page, like in wikipedia (introduction, history, sunnary etc.)?

Anonymous
November 26, 2009 9:30 AM delete

i dont really good in explaining i guess, but roughly those 5 entries are linked to one very subsections. like if you are going to do a series of novels. this is an example

December 03, 2009 2:22 PM delete

They are all simple hyperlinks.
Create 10 (or whatever number of) posts, and divide your story in to these 10 parts.
Now you will have ten urls to these 10 posts:
yourblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/post-1.html
yourblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/post-2.html
yourblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/post-10.html

Now create hyperlinks to those 10 brackets, like this:

[<a href="http://yourblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/post-1.html">1<>][<a href="http://yourblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/post-2.html">2</a>]...[<a href="http://yourblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/post-10.html">10</a>]

That's it, place these hyperlinked brackets in a HTML/JavaScript widget and drag it to your sidebar.

December 18, 2009 5:00 AM delete

I am included this form see link below

Anonymous
December 30, 2009 4:06 PM delete

thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to do this for a while now. Blogger doesn't make it very clear.

December 31, 2009 12:41 AM delete

You are most welcome....Happy New Year !

January 13, 2010 1:13 AM delete

In the above image how do you blur it and how do you highlight in specific place?

January 13, 2010 6:09 AM delete

Photoshop buddy! The master of all image-editing software ;)

January 13, 2010 9:12 PM delete

Oh...it's live. I 4get it. :D

April 09, 2010 8:04 PM delete

Yes this was helpful BUT is there a way to SAVE (without publishing) these label changes?

I just want to save the changes.

Not resend the bloody thing out again.

April 09, 2010 9:17 PM delete

Don't hit the "publish" button. Simply wait for a few seconds, and changes will be saved autmatically.

April 28, 2010 2:33 PM delete

Thank you! This was very helpful to me when I realized that I had capitalized some labels and not others. I like uniformity.

I had no idea how to go about changing them, though. So this was very useful.

June 28, 2010 9:07 AM delete

hey sombdy said this

To add Label Links in the sidebar click on your label below your posts. This will open the label page in the browser. Copy down the link rom the address bar. Then login to Dashboard of Blogger and click on Template. In the Edit Html tab paste the following code in the sidebar section :

buutt i still can not understand how can i have that
Label Link!!from where>??:-/

Anonymous
July 14, 2010 10:07 AM delete

AGHHHH! I just spent hours doing the whole thing one by one!!!
Wish I saw this earlier

July 24, 2010 4:19 PM delete

Thank you very much for this tip, I was having some trouble finding the way to delete some labels.

Thanks ;)

August 11, 2010 11:30 AM delete

Wow, this was such a huge help. I have been trying for a month to delete 2 labels that were connected somehow. As you know with the limited number of labels allowed on Blogger, it was a problem to have an extra long label. Your instructions were perfect!

August 24, 2010 12:26 AM delete

i am very happy, my problem is soulw

Joe
September 21, 2010 12:02 AM delete

The option "remove labels" does not appear in my drop-down menu. Now what?

November 01, 2010 12:21 AM delete

Hi all. Look, i think i desperately need help!!! I have tried in all possible ways, but labels from posts won't go away, no way. I erase the indicated piece of html code, but no way. i looked everywhere in search of an explanations, and i could not find another way to get ride of the labels for each posts, lokks like there is only this methos? Weird enough, my "show labels" option is NOT checked! so it should not even appear labels from the begininng...
Please, help me out...
Thanks so much in advance. A photography (good resolution) for free for the one that can help me out!!
M.

November 09, 2010 7:36 PM delete

I don't have REMOVE LABEL in my label list. Has blogger removed this option since 2009? I really need to clean up my labels on both my blogs so any direction would be most appreciated. You're welcome to send me a message though the email link on my blog. Thanks!

January 08, 2011 4:57 AM delete

Thanks alot for this post .. ill label all my posts now :D

January 30, 2011 5:56 PM delete

Hello, your post was so useful, it is hard to find to delete a label, thank you

March 26, 2011 2:15 PM delete

Thanks! It was so hard to find, that I couldn't find it the first time after reading this post... But I found it, after i followed the whole instruction :D

www.lovelyknitting.blogspot.com

May 18, 2011 4:45 AM delete

i find this useful .. i finally could manage labels .. thanks

May 18, 2011 6:45 AM delete

things are simple untill we dont know them! thanks a ton for ur solution

Anonymous
May 23, 2011 2:53 PM delete

Thanx a lot.

June 18, 2011 8:07 PM delete

Thank you, it helped me because I had a whole lot of laebls to get rid of !!!

July 05, 2011 11:47 PM delete

Thank you so much. I was pulling my hair trying to figure out how to delete labels after I accidently added an unwanted label. Thank you again.

July 17, 2011 6:05 AM delete

Hev you got any idea how i can make the posts under a particular label on a seperate static page on blogger?? It would be greatly apprecialted...

July 26, 2011 2:23 AM delete

Hi that is nice topic and good info of The amount of pain is minimal a feeling of "being beaten with a rubber band hot tour and toes begin to curl in before my first success depilação definitiva.

July 26, 2011 2:24 AM delete

Anonymous
July 26, 2011 5:01 PM delete

I only want labels to be presented in a gadget - in the sidebar. I don't want to have them visible under my posts. Is this possible? Regards / Jones

August 24, 2011 10:04 AM delete

thanks, you've solved my problem

Anonymous
December 11, 2011 11:18 AM delete

Hi,

I've developed a Python tool to remove labels from Blogger.
It is much faster than using the Blogger interface, especially when you have thousands of labels.
You can also specify a time interval for the tool to operate.

Check it out at: http://mybloggerutilities.blogspot.com/

March 10, 2012 7:00 AM delete

that was such a help! thank you so much! Indeed blogger dashboard is not that user friendly.

March 30, 2012 5:32 PM delete

That's what I needed! Although I'm not very computer savy and I had to look up how to label posts and delete labels I didn't know I had. If you wanted to be more user friendly you could explain that part or insert a link to it. Otherwise very helpful!

May 05, 2012 7:59 AM delete

How to Move from many posts at once from one label to another???
First Select all the posts you want to move to a particular label and then click on the label you want to... from the drop down menu (label Actions) and then remove the previous label from the same drop down menu.

June 07, 2012 3:01 AM delete

I stumbled upon your blog while finding out how to delete labels in blogger. Apparently, with the new blog look it's not that easy to delete labels now. I'm actually hoping you can teach me how. Thanks!

www.violetcavies.blogspot.com

July 20, 2012 8:07 AM delete

Thanks. How can I even select a label and doesnot allow to make it visible in the side bar of my blog. When i do editing in my label gadget in the side bar and opt to show selected labels not a single label is displayed in the side bar . Instead it is displayed at the bottom of every post. Please help How can I show only selected labels in the side bar of my blog i.e, monsoonmaniacs.blogspot.com. If u see here u can 5 labels in my side bar. I want to select more labels but doesnot want to show them in the side bar. Plz help? : (

August 11, 2012 8:43 AM delete

plz tellme how to remove labels from blogger ui

August 21, 2012 8:30 AM delete

Sorry to say that I am not found any level action or something in new blogger.
Please post this problem for new look blogger.

August 21, 2012 6:50 PM delete

In the new blogger there isn't a "Remove Label" option. Can you tell me how to remove them in the updated blogger? Thanks! :)

September 20, 2012 7:15 PM delete

How do i do that on new blogger templete,the old one is removed and i cant find posting/edit post in a new one

September 13, 2013 7:10 PM delete

Here's a good tutorial on how to remove the labels from the new Blogger interface. Hope that helps some of you.