To change the default template, you need to first download a good template for your blog. So have a look here: Free Blogger Templates
Once you are done with selecting and downloading the template of your choice from the link above, then you have to upload that template to your blog.
So follow these steps:
1. Log in to Blogger (You are at dashboard)
2. Go to the Layout section.
3. Now you will see a page similar to this:
4. Click on the “Edit” links on the widgets, and back up their content in notepads in your computer (Because when you change the template, you might lose all the widgets content)
5. Now go to “Template” section and click on “Backup/Restore” button.
6. Now in the pop up, click on “Download full template” (This is done to take a backup of the current template, in case you want to revert back to your old template)
7. Now upload the new template using the “Choose file” button in the same popup.
8. Follow the instructions given with the new template to arrange the widgets and make links active.
9. Follow the SEO tips given by BloggerStop to make sure your new template is Google ready 🙂
That’s it folks! you are done with a complete makeover of your blog 🙂